ROOSEVELT SCHOOL: 1920-2009
Built in 1920 Roosevelt School saw 220 students from seventh and eighth grades move in the new school from the Field School on Tenth Street and Villard Avenue. R.M. Porter, then Principal at the Field building, served as the first principal of Roosevelt School.
When the new middle school was built on Broadway a naming contest was held and the students of Red Lodge quickly choose to name the school after famed baseball player Babe Ruth. They were quickly overturned and Roosevelt School was born.
Roosevelt School served as the middle school in Red Lodge for 89 years and saw expansion of the school in 1990 to include a gymnasium and additional classrooms. In 2009, having outgrown the building, the students moved into the old High School. Of the historic school buildings in Red Lodge (Field, Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and Carbon County High School) Roosevelt is the only one remaining.
REVITALIZING OLD ROOSEVELT: 2009-2014
It has long been the vision of many individuals and groups to develop a performing arts/auditorium space in Red Lodge that will serve the needs of the community. A Place for Our Arts was formed in part to help develop a preforming arts space in Red Lodge. After exploring possible preforming arts spaces available in it was determined that Old Roosevelt School was the best choice for a performing arts center.
An independent committee, Revitalize Old Roosevelt, was formed by the Red Lodge Area Community Foundation, with representatives from the arts community, the public schools, the City of Red Lodge, the Public Schools Foundation and local businesses to assess the best uses for the old school.
REVITALIZING OLD ROOSEVELT: 2015-PRESENT
Together with your help Revitalize Old Roosevelt looks to strengthen and transform Old Roosevelt into a space with economic, educational, and social benefits for the whole community.